Pinder & Brickley make it a clear sweep for 20Ten at Oulton

Luke Pinder

20Ten’s Luke Pinder was the man to beat from the start of qualifying as the Ford Fiesta Championship visited Oulton Park.

He took pole position for the first race by just 0.085 secs from Zachary Lucas. “He only got that close on one lap though, after he had waited and followed me round,” he explained.

Team mate Spencer Stevenson was only 0.407 secs off pole, qualifying third, with Ethan Rogers taking his class pole too.

It was great start for Pinder and had soon gone clear of the pursuing Lucas. After two laps he was two seconds clear, which had grown to five by the end of lap five.

“I caught some backmarkers on the last lap and it was double yellows, otherwise it would have been about eight seconds gap at the end. It was a fairy layed back race, just controlling the car and my times,” he added.

Spencer Stevenson

Stevenson had slipped to sixth on the opening lap, but ousted Simon Horrobin for fifth on lap four and was closing on the third placed duel too as the flag came out.

Rogers continued his class dominance, with another lights to flag win too.

Although starting from pole again, Pinder lost out to Rob Smith at the start of race two. “It wasn’t a perfect start but I led to the first corner, before Rob went around the outside to get the lead,” he explained.

Both had quickly made a break, which allowed Pinder to make his challenge for the lead. “I had to defend briefly from third and fourth, as he had backed me up, then on the second lap I pushed him to outbrake himself into Knickerbrook and I was ahead and clear,” he said.

The lead continued to grow to seal win number two, with Stevenson having battled his way past David Nye a lap from home, joining his team mate on the podium with a solid third.

Ethan Rogers

For Rogers it was a double win too, making it four for the season so far.

Not to be outdone there was a double win in the Fiesta Junior’s too, with Jenson Brickley keeping 20Ten on the top step of the podium.

Jenson Brickley

Brickley had qualified on pole and led into the first corner, with Sid Smith a close second.

But Smith outbraked himself and was off on lap two, bringing the safety car into action.

From the green flag it was a three lap sprint to the chequered flag, with Brickley almost four seconds clear of Croft winner Deegan Fairclough.

“I didn’t want to push too hard and put it off, but backed them up from the restart and just got away,” he explained.

James Wallis

Team mate James Wallis finished strongly too, taking ninth place on the final lap.

It was lights to flag again for Brickley in race two, having shaken off Smith’s attentions early in the race.

By lap five he was nine seconds clear and continued to push on for a dominant second win of the day, with Wallis missing out on the top 10 this time, with 13th.

All five drivers will be back in action again on July 24th/25th when the Championships visit Snetterton.

Published by Peter Scherer for 20Ten Racing June 21st 2021

Images by Mick Walker